Monday, August 1, 2011

Mobile Learning Lab

     For this lab, I joined Classroom 2.0 and read a lot of posts about using cell phones in schools.  I work at an elementary school, K - 4, so we do not have a lot of students with mobile devices.  However, after reading posted submitted by other educators, it is interesting to see how they are embracing this technology and using it to create a bridge to their students.
     I also tried the site www.polleverywhere.com.  I have never heard of this site before and found it to be fascinating.  What a great idea: to have instant feedback from all students without the risk of someone not answering because s/he was embarrassed.  I think that this would be incredibly helpful in almost any educational environment because it gives voice to the students without the most boisterous ones taking over, and it enables the teacher to receive immediate feedback, so that s/he knows what material is understood and what needs to be retaught.  What an excellent idea!  I have attached a screen shot of my Classroom 2.0 comment.
     I would like to use polleverywhere with my classes.  Granted, I work with elementary students who do not have cell phones/mobile devices, but since the site gives a web address, I can direct my students to that site and receive the same information as if they were texting.  I am just very impressed with the concept.  This would be helpful when asking students about a particular concept or even if they had finished a writing assignment we were working on.  However, the major challenge for me with this is locating a projector for the students to see the instant results.  Also, I do not have but one computer in my classroom, so this would only be effective when we go to the computer lab twice a week.  But I must admit that my biggest challenge when it comes to using a cell phone (in particular) in the class is that I don't have one.  Yeah, you read that right.  I do not own a cell phone.  Yes, I embrace technology, but when it comes to cell phones, I am a pariah.  I used three different computers in order to try out this poll though.  Here is a link to the poll and the results are pasted below as a screen shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment