Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wicked Problem Project

Wicked Problem - How can distance be taught to students ensuring that they understand the concept so it can be used in a real-world setting?

Wicked Problem Solution - For students to successfully grasp the concept of distance, we will teach them geocaching.  Using a mobile device with GPS capabilities, students will learn how to download latitude and longitude coordinates, search within the community, and input this information into a computer mapping application such as Google Maps or Google Earth.

Technological Content Knowledge - Distance will become a tangible variable that can be manipulated for understanding by having students explore with GPS devices and compare with maps on the Internet.

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge - By using either dedicated GPS units or mobile devices in addition to computer mapping applications, these teaching strategies will allow students to have a practical, real-world experience in calculating distance.

Pedagogical Content Knowledge - In order to help our students understand distance, I need to know what they know.  This will be accomplished by discussing physical, topographic, and road maps.  Students will be encouraged to ask questions in order to acquire the same basic understanding of maps.  I will use this information to explain the hemispheres, latitude, and longitude.  This will directly lead to understanding GPS.  By combining these elements, students will have a concrete representation as we go outside and use our GPS devices to find pre-determined locations.  




3 comments:

  1. Duane,
    You did a very nice job bringing it all together. Following your project has been a lot of fun and really inspiring.
    I wish I could pick your brain at the end of the year to see how it went. By the way, how did you get Jing to go over 5 minutes long? I didn't see or hear any transitions?
    Karen Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duane,
    Your project is terrific! I like how this project will be not only implemented one time, but over the year to review and reinforce many concepts. You've also done a great job of pulling other subject objectives into the lesson. Fantastic!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Duane!

    This looks really great. You have a great plan for teaching geography in your class! I really want to be in your class for this. It makes me want to get a gps. I guess I could use my new tiny tablet... There is probably an app for that... Did you use Jing for your video? I tried using cam studio instead, but it went psycho on me. Also, the program takes up a lot more space. The benefit is that it records system audio, though. Sorry, I'm blabbering. Great job! Have fun with this project!

    Tai

    ReplyDelete