Sunday, May 15, 2011

Getting Things Done!

     Organization is essential to my wellbeing.  Clutter and chaos are my enemies.  I tend to stay organized through my computer whether it is through using my calendar program with popup reminders or spreadsheets, this is a system that works for me.
     I like the tactile sensation of a pen against paper, so I organized my process by writing things down and making a list.  Normally, I do not use lists.  By nature, I am organized to the point of obsession, and many people with whom I work know this.  Often they “delegate” things to me because they know I will organize it in a meaningful and logical manner.  I usually use a spreadsheet or word processing program, but for this exercise, I chose to do something different.  I would say that this worked because I am a very visual person, so seeing a list of tasks I need/want to accomplish and putting a due date to them helped me.  Also, I have lived with Type I Diabetes for almost eight years, so schedules are extremely important to me and sometimes my body simply “tells” me what needs to be done, and I need to do it now!
     Going through the process for the first time and actually processing the tasks ahead was daunting.  I tend to keep my latest projects by my computer, but having them compiled into one list gave me some perspective.  It also enabled me to see how I could better utilize my time by assigning dates I would like to accomplish certain tasks by and sticking to them.
     To a certain degree, I already do many of the objectives listed with the GTD process.  It certainly will not hinder me, but I will adapt strategies into how I already operate and work.  Since I already have a system for organization that works for me, I will simply incorporate what I have learned into what I already do.
     I will use the process described in the lecture and readings, but tailor it to fit my needs and learning style.  As previously stated, I am organized, but the five steps of collect, process, organize, review, and do will guide me in utilizing my time even more efficiently.

    1 comment:

    1. As educators we are really busy people. Being organized is a must. Learning another tool to help maintain the quality of our organization skills is always helpful.

      ReplyDelete