Sunday, May 22, 2011

PC Maintenance and Security Lab

     The first tutorial on Atomic Learning that I chose was "Setting up search preferences in Google."  One thing I learned was that pictures and language can be filtered through the preferences in Google.  It will filter "explicit text and images."  There were three different settings that range from no filtering, moderate filtering (default), and strict filtering.  I did not realize that Google had a search preference that would filter potentially objectionable images and language.  It makes using Google in an academic environment an even better choice to avoid inappropriate situations.
     The second tutorial I chose was "Comparing and contrasting hardware and software firewalls."  I learned that there are two types of firewalls.  I did not know that routers have a firewall installed in them to help protect my computer.  I knew about installing a firewall as part of a security suite, but I did not realize that the hardware version was part of the router.  I was surprised by what the hardware firewall does because I didn't know it was even present.
     The final tutorial I chose was "Managing your web passwords with RoboForm."  I learned how RoboForm works by creating a "passcard."  Once I have visited a site, RoboForm can store my information and access it when I return so I only have to sign in once, thus saving me time in remembering and typing in my password each time.  I was surprised to learn that this program has a feature that will generate a password for me.  Lately, having signed into so many new sites, I have difficulty thinking of new, unique passwords.  With a program that would generate passwords for me, it would save me the time I spend simply thinking of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment