Sunday, May 8, 2011

Personal Growth Plan - CEP 810

 Duane B. Karlin
Carolyn McCarthy, Dr. Sandra Plair
CEP 810
May 8, 2011
Personal Growth Plan
            I want to grow as an educator as the result of this class.  I consider myself relatively tech savvy regarding operating systems, computer maintenance and troubleshooting, but I have not used many of the “newer” Web 2.0 applications that have forever changed the Internet.  The Internet has moved beyond a series of networked computers maintained by a select few.  It is now a constantly shifting and evolving amalgamation where anyone who views it can change it.  Any and all users now control the content on the Internet.
            In developing my Personal Growth Plan, I want to actively develop a better understanding of Web 2.0 technologies.  The primary areas I need to advance in are the usage and practicality of a blog, using RSS feeds to compile new and relevant data faster and centrally, understanding web-based applications, particularly Google Docs, and the importance of utilizing “cloud computing.”
            As a result of this class, by learning about the aforementioned Web 2.0 technologies to the point of proficiency and the possession of confidence to teach the ideas, I will be able to introduce students to this emerging side of the Internet.  This will make a difference in education because all learners would no longer be intrinsically linked to one computer.  Projects, interests, and even calendar schedules would now be instantly available on any computer with an Internet connection.  By moving toward a cloud system, ideas can be instantaneously shared and commented upon; advice given and results implemented.  Students could easily receive feedback from virtually every member in a class, not just an instructor or chosen peers, but everyone.
            To accomplish this feat, my goal is to seek out new resources on the Internet, particularly blogs and RSS feeds, and to solicit the advice of mentors.  By playing with these new tools in order to learn about them, it will assist me in learning, but finding mentors may be more of a challenge.  Traditionally, I am a solitary person.  I like working alone and often rely on myself for answers.  Finding mentors and asking for help is my weak area, but it is one that I need to bridge to in order to experience success.  Through my learning, I will perhaps be able to pass on information to my mentor sources; something I would have not considered if I had not sought information in the first place.  I have a wide array of colleagues within my district, and now within my CEP classes, so I simply need to ask for guidance.
            To increase these skills, I need to set aside a certain amount of time on a daily basis where I can work toward learning (and eventually mastering) a new skill.  If I run into a problem, I can either ask one of my mentors for guidance to insure my understanding or search for an answer on the Internet.  With either solution, I can report back (or refer to) the other for further verification.

1 comment:

  1. Your calendar looks great! My comments on the Personal Growth Plan will be in the portfolio.
    Thanks!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete