Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Social Networks

     How do social networks fit into my professional and personal work flow?  I admit it.  I am a social network snob.  I was reluctant to initially join Facebook.  It seemed trivial and unappealing.  I openly criticized many people within my work environment using it saying that I didn't want to have an account like every college student out there.  It just wasn't my thing.  But after some persuasion, I joined.  It was fun to reconnect with people I haven't seen or heard from in years, but after the shine wore off, I drifted away from the network.  It's interesting, but I don't usually have anything that I want (or need) to share with anyone at that exact moment.  I could say that I called them, but to be honest, I don't like using the phone.  Not my thing.  
     Which leads me to my next point.  I am here to officially admit it to anyone who reads this blog.  I do not own a cell phone, smart phone, or any kind of gadget where I could talk to someone on a whim.  I am not the person whose phone starts chirping at an inopportune time to some quirky ringtone that I find endearing but others find annoying.  I work primarily with 3rd and 4th grade students who have phones and can't understand why I don't.  My reply is that I don't want to talk with anyone when I'm not at home.  Most of the time, I am near a phone, so what's the point?  I live in a relatively small community, so I can walk someplace and call for help if I'm in need.  I'm not a technophobe by any stretch of the imagination.  I like working with computers and understanding new programs, but I become so absorbed with the inner workings, that I don't accomplish what I would like to in a timely fashion.  
     That being said, social networking does not really fit into my professional and personal work flow.  Yes, many of my Facebook friends are co-workers or former students.  I'll log on once a month or so and see what's happening, but I rarely post anything.  I guess I'm a lurker by nature.
     On the flip side, social networking, even with my third and fourth grade students, is a big deal.  They are excited when they learn that I have a Facebook page.  They want to be "friends," but I tell them that I rarely check it, so the subjects drifts on to other areas.  Since they are under the "legal" age of 13 as required by Facebook's Terms, I don't encourage them.  Besides, I think they should be doing things that are more age appropriate.  They are already more dependent upon connected to gadgets than I want to be.  

1 comment:

  1. LinkedIn is the place for you. Very professional with discussions that are meaningful. Any nonsense and they will let you know about it. I love to see those postings that tell people not advertise products. I use FB for family and friends. I use LinkedIn to keep up with the professional part of my life.

    ReplyDelete